I know I’m not Oprah or anything, so I can’t give away gifts or yell really loudly “YOU GET A CAR!”, but I can tell you some of my favorite products and items from 2016. Why make a list? Because I want to share these cool things with you, that’s why.
So, without further ado, my list of favorite things of 2016
- JewelScent Candles
This is one that’s been building up awhile, and I can honestly say I am nothing short of thrilled with this company. I wrote a review on the candles earlier when I started this blog, and since then my appreciation for the company has continued to grow. The products speak for themselves, so much to the point that I actually threw my first online JewelScent party back at the beginning of November. I ended up selling $248 worth of product, and ended up with $24.80 off a total order. I also got 24 reward points to use in the vault should I decide to do that instead. Their items make wonderful gifts, and every time I give one as a gift it’s always a hit. Check out their candles, soaps, tarts, body scrubs, creams and more at www.jewelscent.com
- Subscription Boxes I can’t begin to verbalize how much I’m loving subscription boxes. I started out with Ipsy and Fab Fit Fun, and have since added Marvel Collector Corps and Graze to my subscriptions. There is something both equally fun about not knowing what you’re getting in your box (I don’t always look ahead) and getting a little pick me up when your package arrives. Ipsy has proven to be worth the $10 alone, and I’ve tried lots of great products and received some full size, great products such as nail polish, hand cream and even brushes. Fab Fit Fun has also proved to be a great box that is well worth the money. $50 every quarter for $252 worth of full sized products? It’s truly amazing. Marvel Collector Corps also ships out on an every few month basis and has helped provide me with some great gifting options for the Marvel fans in my life. I’ve also found the snacks I get from my weekly Graze boxes help me feel a little bit better about my snacking habits. There’s plenty of subscription box services out there, and I’ve got a few on my list I can’t wait to try such as MerLady Box, LoveFood, and Sephora Play. Joining My Subscription Addiction, I could search and check out other cool boxes, read reviews, and it has definitely helped when choosing boxes I’d like to try.
- LuLaRoe (specifically leggings)
I have become seriously addicted to LuLaRoe. I started with a pair of leggings last February. There was a local fundraiser at the High School where I worked, and I kept seeing the signs for this “LuLaRoe”. I did some research as I always do, and found out that they make a variety of clothes but were popular with their leggings. I also found out that they make only 5,000 items with one print, so everything is limited quantities and designs. I got the card from the consultant, because that’s how you buy it. Much like Avon or Tastefully simple, consultants sell the items through at home parties but also online in weekly “pop ups”. I got a pair of pixel heart leggings for Valentine’s day and they are the softest leggings EVER. One consultant led to Multi- Consultant sales, which lead to more consultants and multi sales and before I knew it I added SEVERAL consultants and sale groups and can be found combing Facebook entering giveaways and hunting cool prints and items. I own 3 pairs of leggings so far and I can’t wait to try their dresses and shirts.
4.Marrakesh Argan & Hemp Oil
I received Marrakesh hair oil in one of my Fab Fit Fun boxes. I had always wanted to try hair oils, most predominately Moroccan Oil- so this full-size bottle got my attention. I loved the way it smelled and it’s applicable to wet or dry hair. It definitely helps my dry ends and provides beautiful and weightless shine to my hair. I loved the product so much, that when add ons came around for the Fall Box, I added another bottle of it as well as a Marrakesh gift set (shampoo, conditioner and body butter) to my box order. I use it daily, and I love it.
- Rose Gold Rose gold itself has been around awhile, but recently has been on the fast track to becoming popular. I can’t get enough of the hue- the pinkish bronze color has me feeling some kind of way, and I’ve become slightly obsessed. My phone is rose gold colored. I asked for the limited edition rose gold Fit Bit for Christmas. I want to highlight my hair with baylayage rose gold. I’m googling rose gold jewelry at the jewelry store. I love rose gold colored eyeshadows and glitters. I just can’t get enough of this classy, modern hue.
- ModCloth Clothing While I’m not as crazy for ModCloth clothing as I am for LuLaRoe, I have become enchanted with ModCloth. Their clothes are pretty pricey, which is why I have only bought during their Stylish Surprise, when they are cleaning out their inventory and your mystery items are a fraction of the price. Both of my Stylish Surprises have been great, and I’ll probably continue to do that sale. Other than that, I have bought 2 pairs of shoes from the website and loved them both. I have also joined an online resale group on Facebook called “Modcloth B/S/T” which people sell their brand new, like new or excellent used condition clothes for a fraction of the price. I’ve bought at least 3 dresses off the BST that were sold from ModCloth, brand new with tags-and the prices I paid are well worth it. $25 including shipping for a dress that costs $180? Brand new with tags? Yes PLEASE. I comb the sale groups looking for really great deals on brand new with tag dresses almost daily.
- The Skinjacker Trilogy by Neil Shusterman This year I saw an influx of books. I started reading after Christmas last year and made myself a reading challenge. I started reading a lot more, and while I read some adult fiction, I really fell into the Young Adult Literature. I read a few books on my break during Summer Work, as I work in a middle school the selections are all pretty much YA. I started the Percy Jackson series which I think is great, and the Skinjacker Trilogy which I think is one of my all-time favorite series now. While the first book was ok enough to keep my attention, the second and third book were spectacular. I was enthralled with the series and obsessively ready it every waking hour I could to finish the story. At the conclusion of the 3rd book, I literally CRIED. The series is dark, twisted and hauntingly beautiful and hard to believe it is a young adult novel at times with some of the themes incorporated. This is the book that resonated with me this year, and stood out above the rest.
- Theraflu Drink Packets This one might sound odd as a favorite thing of 2016, but it deserves its spot. I got pretty sick recently in October, with a very very sore throat. I didn’t want to keep spraying chloraseptic, and I wasn’t coughing so cough meds were out and I was well above halls or lozenges. Worried about getting Strep Throat, I needed something to take care of my irritated throat and knock it the hell out. I intended on getting Nyquil at the store for that night, and came across Theraflu hot drink packets to sooth sore throat. They were packets that contained pain reliever and fever reducer, as well as Lipton tea powder. I got Apple Cinnamon flavored. The packet is to be mixed with warm water and you need to drink it in the course of 15 minutes. Not only did it soothe my throat almost immediately, it knocked my cold clear out of me. The next day I felt better, and followed up with a packet just to be safe. The tea itself was pleasant and flavorful and not a nuisance to take like some meds. Theraflu makes its other medications in the drink packet as well, so I may be adding those to my medicine cabinet too.
- Stranger Things I can honestly say I am obsessed with this show. It came out in July, but I wasn’t ready yet. I watched it in September when we were cat sitting. At Dragon Con, Stranger Things cosplays were EVERYWHERE, but I had no idea that was what they were. When I finally caved in to the hype, it was a little tricky to get into. the first 10 minutes of the first episode were kind of boring, but I continued to watch with the kitty cat in my lap. By the end of the first episode I was hooked. I binged all 8 episodes in one day, as it seemed to be the only thing that kept Precious in my lap all day. Precious is a rambunctious kitten and very active, so I was loving that she didn’t seem to mind sitting in my lap and watching the show with me. It made it that much cooler of an experience. (For those who don’t know I am pretty allergic to cats but totally enamored with them. Watching 2 kittens for a week was somewhat miserable to my allergies, but I loved every sneeze. They were totally worth it.) I think what I really enjoyed about the show was it’s 80’s feel. It was made to feel like a Spielberg/ Stephen King horror flick set in the 8o’s and it feels like such. The music, the styles, and the environment and characters feels pretty genuine to me. I loved the main characters, the group of kids. These kids were lightning in a bottle. I especially loved Eleven, and could not get enough of her story arc.
Favorite Memories From This Year:
- Conventions!!!! I funded and attended 5 conventions this year with several new cosplays. Each convention was fun and great in its own right, but I think my #1 convention memory this year would be meeting Jared Padalecki from Supernatural, and being hugged by him. It was totally unexpected, but totally awesome. Also, meeting Brett Dalton at Dragon Con, and Philo Barnhart (one of the key animators from The Little Mermaid) at Replay FX are going down as awesome convention memories.
- Weird Al Yankovic Concert This year Weird Al came to town, and Jeff was thrilled. He’s been a fan for a long time, but was worried that the concert fell on our 5-year wedding anniversary that I would be against going. On the contrary, I was all for going- knowing how much this would mean to my husband. It was hands down one of the best shows I’ve seen in recent years. Full of comedy skits as well as songs, incredible costumes and performances, I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was.
- Mother’s Day Brunch
This year I invited the mothers in my life to a special brunch held at a banquet hall by my house. My Grandmothers, and future step-mom were in attendance. I got them all gifts (JewelScent, of course!) and could pay for both my grandmother’s. It made me feel very blessed to be able to do so, and share something special with them, and we all had a wonderful time. I would like to try to do the brunch again this year and include some other mothers in my life this year as well.
Honestly, I think that about sums up the year for me. 2016 was kind of a bum year for me, it certainly wasn’t one of my better years, but there were some great times, and fun things.
Bring on 2017!